Latin American Studies Student Organization (LASSO)
LASSO is an SDSU student organization that is open to all grade levels and disciplines. Its members are active not just in academics but in advocacy, activism, art, community service and all other arenas that raise awareness and knowledge of LAS-related topics, activities and events in San Diego and beyond. Their purpose is to gain an understanding of Latin America’s place in many academic disciplines as well as to enhance the student experience in their various degree programs through exploring the cultures and influences of Latin America. Visit their website to learn more.
Programs and Centers
The Center for Latin American Studies partners with other SDSU programs and centers, including the following:
- Language Acquisition Resource Center (LARC)
- Behner Stiefel Center for Brazilian Studies
- Center for International Business Education Research (CIBER)
- Institute for the Regional Studies of the Californias (IRSC)
- International Security and Conflict Resolution (ISCOR)
- California Global Education Project (CGEP)
Teaching and Community
Over a number of years CLAS has gathered a vast amount of indigenous resources to create educational materials that can be used in the community and/or classroom.
- Learn about the Mixtec culture, language, and everyday life, by visiting mixtec.sdsu.edu A site maintained by the CLAS.
- Kumeyaay Language Lessons
- Tá falado:Brazilian Portuguese Pronunciation for Speakers of Spanish
- List of Programs for Less Commonly Taught Languages