How to Apply to Our Programs
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the requirements that applicants for graduate study at SDSU submit scores for the GRE are suspended for the Fall 2021 admissions cycle.
To be considered for graduate admission at San Diego State University, you must follow the 3 step process outlined below.
Step 1. Apply to the Cal State Apply by December 4, 2020.
All applicants must fill out an online application on Cal State Apply and pay the required $70 nonrefundable application fee. Once you have submitted the Cal State Apply application, an SDSU RedID number will be assigned to you. Your RedID will allow you to track the status of your application through SDSU Webportal.
Step 2. Submit Official Transcripts & Test Scores to the Graduate Admissions Office
by April 1, 2021.
After you have submitted the Cal State Apply application and have received your RedID, you will need to send official test scores and transcripts to the Graduate Admissions Office. You can view full instructions on the Graduate Admissions page.
You must provide the following:
- Electronic transcripts are acceptable. Please ensure that you indicate this preference when making your request. If you are required to provide an email address to send the secure online document to SDSU, please use [email protected].
- Official transcripts must have been issued within the last year from all U.S. colleges and universities attended. Transcripts received with print dates older than one year will not be accepted.
- If you previously attended SDSU, you need only submit transcripts for work completed since last attendance. Hard copy transcripts for SDSU coursework are not required.
- Students with an International degree must submit a record of all academic coursework and proof of degree, both in the original-language. If documents are in a language other than English, they must be accompanied by a certified literal English translation. Please see Graduate Admissions Steps to Apply page for more information.
Plan ahead! No late scores will be accepted. GRE scores (and if applicable, TOEFL) must be sent directly from ETS - Institution Code: 4682
Step 3.Submit Program Application on Interfolio by April 1, 2021.
Master of Arts (MA) in Latin American Studies, Master of Arts in LAS and Master of
Business Administration and Master of Arts in LAS and Master in Public Administration
Complete this step through the Interfolio application by April 1, 2021.
Do not send documents directly to the department.
- A personal statement of your research interests and professional goals should be submitted through Interfolio.
- Three letters of recommendation
Applicants must provide names and email addresses for recommenders. Recommenders will be invited to complete the recommendation electronically.
Please note that the version of Interfolio used for the program application is called
Faculty Search. The application consists of forms, document attachments, and confidential letters
of recommendation. Refer to this Applicant Guide for step-by-step instructions for completing the Interfolio program application.
You can also find updates, tips, and answers to FAQs here. If you have any technical issues completing this application, please contact Interfolio. For all other questions, please visit thefor additional information.
If you have any questions about the application process, contact Lia Wesson, Center for Latin American Studies Admissions Coordinator, by email [email protected] or phone (619) 594-1104.
- Apply to Cal State Apply - December 4, 2020
- Submit Documents to Graduate Admissions - April 1, 2020
- Complete Program Application with CLAS - April 1, 2020
- Latin American Studies Student Organization (LASSO)
- SDSU Class Schedule
- SDSU Graduate Bulletin
- Graduate and Research Affairs
Phone: (619) 594-1104
Email: [email protected]
Master of Arts in LAS and Master in Public Health
Complete this step through the Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS) application by February 15, 2021.
- Your application information will be shared with the SDSU Department of Latin American Studies through SOPHAS. Do not apply to the Department of Latin American Studies separately.
If you have any questions about the MA/MPH application process, contact Brenda Fass-Holmes, School of Public Health Admissions Coordinator, by email [email protected] or phone (619) 594-4492.
International students should visit the International Student Center website for specific application requirements for admission.